Importance of Organ Donation - A letter to Mr. Steve Harvey

After recently hearing the comments made from Steve Harvey during his nationally syndicated radio show I was so enraged, I wrote this letter in response. Organ donation has directly affected me, as I have not been a recipient or donor. However, someone very close to me has. I feel very strongly and passionately about it and will continue to be an advocate for it.

I hope this letter, although directed towards Steve Harvey, will enlighten the reader as well.


 Dear Mr. Harvey, I am disappointed, discontent, and disenchanted about a comment you made during your recent Strawberry Letter Segment. 

 During your response to a woman's letter in which she was concerned about whether or not to donate her eggs to another couple you referenced organ donation jokingly and stated that if you're asked at the dmv to be an organ donor, the answer would be "Hell No!" Even your co-host, Carla responded by saying "you won't need them when you're dead". 

 Let me begin by saying that I have followed your career for some time, and I am regular listener. I also respect you and agree with many of your personal views. However, your comment regarding organ donation hurt me to the core because it is a matter that is very personal to me and it affects many other African American families as well. I also want to add that I am not affiliated with any organization. This is just a topic that I'm extremely passionate about. I realize that because of your celebrity status much of what you say is scutinized. However, this letter is not meant to be an insult but instead a plea to educate and raise the consciousness of you as well as many other Americans about the importance of organ donation. What I'm asking is for you to take your social responsibility to another level. Here just a few facts regarding African American's and Kidney Disease, but I urge you to do your own research in order to completely understand it's magnitute. 


  •  African Americans make up 12 percent of the population but account for 30 percent of people with kidney failure. 
  • Diabetes and high blood pressure account for about 70 percent of kidney failure in African Americans. 
  • African American males ages 22 – 44 are 20 times more likely to develop kidney failure due to high blood pressure than Caucasian males in the same age group. 
  •  In 2001, there were about 400,000 people who had kidney failure, which requires dialysis or a kidney transplant to stay alive. By 2010, an estimated 661,330 individuals were diagnosed with kidney failure. 
  • The number of organ transplants performed on Black Americans in 2012 was only 14% of the number of Black Americans currently waiting for a transplant. The number of transplants performed on White Americans was 27% of the number currently waiting.


http://blackdoctor.org/1991/african-americans-and-kidney-disease-fact-sheet/ http://donatelife.net/ http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/content.aspx?lvl=3&lvlID=12&ID=7987 http://www.ehow.com/facts_7314535_importance-organ-donations-transplants.html 

 Mr. Harvey you are in a very important position. You have followers... Your followers can be swayed by you and the things you say. I'm urging you to sway them in the direction of organ donation. As a matter of fact Mr. Harvey one of your own Fraternity Brothers, whom I was married to for 15 years has been on a kidney transplant list waiting for 7 years. Yes, one of your own is afflicted. I can guarantee there are many more! 

 Nobody should have to suffer waiting like that when we can all do something as simple as becoming an organ donor to save lives! I'm hoping this letter reaches you and speaks to your heart enough to become an advocate for this cause and also to promote it especially within your fraternal organization. Remember, those who are suffering may not always speak up. They need voices, and I am one of those voices. I pray that you will become one too, beacause you have huge platform. You can begin by reading this on air. 

 Please accept the challenge... I thank you for taking the time to read this letter. 

 Respectfully,
 Angela Clayton, 
MHA Los Angeles, CA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the Mother of a Young Black Son

Are You Going to Quit Smoking for 2012?

What's in 2014?